Statewide Apprenticeships is an independent, community-based not for profit organisation that has been servicing the employment and training needs of South Australian apprentices and trainees, business and industry for over 30 years.
Certificate 3 in Business – 18 month Traineeship.
Statewide Apprenticeships are seeking a Visitor Services School-Based Trainee to be hosted by District Council of Yankalilla.
Our Vision: A Community with an enriched quality of life
The District Council of Yankalilla will achieve its Vision by;
- Building on our sense of community
- Maintaining our built and natural environment
- Providing strong leadership and prudent stewardship
- Delivering services to our community within a responsible financial framework
This school based traineeship position will be responsible to provide support within the Economy, Tourism and Community Team, specifically supporting the Team Leader Tourism and Visitor Centre.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Provide administrative support within the Visitor Centre as required.
- Answering phone calls. Directing phone calls to the appropriate person, taking messages, and assisting customers when directed.
- Responsible for adequately managing the official records created and received according to relevant legislation, policies, and procedures.
- Assist with some retail merchandise and associate stock (ie preparing orders with suppliers, coordinating stock takes, pricing and presentation of all materials).
- Assist with volunteer rostering, in conjunction with Visitor Services Officer.
- Assist with uploading onto the BookEasy reservation platform.
- Assist with continual improvement of the volunteer database.
- Assist with hire equipment program; filing and form creation.
- Any other duty as requested by the Team Leader, Tourism & Visitor Centre.
- Provide support to the Team Leader, Tourism & Visitor Centre in organising, staging, and facilitating events and functions.
- Undertake research including sourcing information and data.
- Attend meetings and facilitate minute taking.
- Assist in researching permits and land use.
- Action and initiate customer requests either via the front Counter or by email.
- Book events, tours, and retail purchases through the BookEasy reservation platform.
- Understand and build the visitor journey.
- Promote and recommend attractions, tours, events and accommodation to visitors.
- Handle transactions via cash, Eftpos or Windcave.
- Assist with daily cash reconciliations.
Social Media/ Website
- Research content to be uploaded onto Facebook, Insta or the website; includes but not limited to videos, photos or stories.
- Assist in posting content onto social media platforms.
- Assist in weekly website updates.
- Positively promote the region within the demographic and visitor segment.
- Research local community and large scale events for inclusion in the events guide for our region.
Leadership and Culture
- Maintain effective relationships with, Council, Council’s neighbouring Councils, community groups and service providers to build corporate opportunities for collaboration.
- Implement continuous improvement processes of operational guidelines, procedures and practices to ensure compliance with the Councils’ Strategic Plans and other relevant legislation, guidelines and standards.
Learning and Development
- Participate in the Performance Development Conversations (PDC) process.
Work, Health & Safety
- Follow health and safety inductions, training, and instructions.
- Follow all reasonable directions received by DCY management.
- Do not undertake unsafe work at any time and lead a team that harnesses this collective responsibility.
- Correctly use personal protective equipment.
- Take care to use equipment safely and for its intended purpose.
- Report hazards and risks without delay.
- Report all work-related injuries and incidents and assist with incident investigations.
- Co-operate with DCY on health and safety matters.
- Actively support WHS consultation processes.
- TEAMWORK – One Team
We are strongest when we work together
We seek out opportunities to collaborate
We are inclusive and respect different perspectives
- INTEGRITY – Do The Right Thing
We behave in a professional, ethical and safe manner
We are transparent, honest and respectful
We hold ourselves and each other accountable
- DELIVER – Get It Done
We overcome obstacles and find solutions
We have pride in our work and honour our commitments
We strive to create outstanding customer experiences
- ENJOY – Have Fun Doing It
We foster a supportive and fun work environment
We bring a positive attitude and open mind
We promote good physical and emotional wellbeing
Key Relationships / Interactions
The Visitor Services Trainee will maintain relationships with all Council staff, Elected Members, members of the public and other relevant stakeholders.
- This position may be required to perform work out-of-hours, including attendance at after-hours meetings or events.
- Fulfill all the inherent job requirements and the physical demands of the position and remain so during employment in accordance with reasonable work, health and safety expectations and all relevant policies and procedures.
- Completion of duties as requested by a more senior officer other than yourself.
- Undertake any other duties associated with the position as required.
- Complete duties within the timeframes allocated.
- Satisfactory National Police Clearance with no adverse findings
- Fantastic phone manner.
- A can do attitude.
- Impressive customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Good understanding of Information Technology systems and accompanying Microsoft suite products like outlook, excel, word etc.
- A willingness to learn and grow in the role.
Qualifications/Licenses/Experience/Knowledge & Skills
- Working knowledge of social media platforms
Please apply in the link below. Please attach your resume and cover letter outlining your interest and suitability to the position.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Please email James at email@example.com for any questions about the vacancy.